Thursday, September 28, 2023

Oz: The stray kitten who crawled up a tree and into our hearts

One evening while walking our dogs, my friend and I heard panicked meowing at the park entrance.

Following the sound, I found a kitten stuck up a large oak tree. Since it was huddled on a branch too high for us to reach, we decided to finish our walk and hope the kitten would find its way down. But when we got back to the tree, it was still there, crying.

Ten-year-old me would have already climbed the tree, but nearly 50-year-old me knew climbing wasn’t an option. And as I stood there wondering how I could help the kitten, my friend said he had an idea — and came back carrying a large plastic garbage can from the bed of his truck. 

That was cool. Because he put the can upside down under the tree and climbed on top of it. Even cooler? When the can still didn’t get him close enough to reach the kitten, my friend stood on it for at least another 10 minutes, cooing and calling until finally, when we were just about to give up, the kitten moved down the branch toward him so he could grab it... and hand me the softest bundle of fur I have ever felt — fur that began purring immediately as I held it to my chest; fur that I never wanted to let go.

But while later I learned that the kitten had been stuck up the tree for at least two days, that night we decided the best thing to do was to let him go and see if he went home. So I put the kitten on the ground, he scurried off, and we left the park.

Yet I couldn’t stop thinking about the kitten I held. More importantly, I couldn’t imagine telling my husband that we pulled a kitten out of a tree, then just let him go. So, after stopping at the store, I went back to the park to see if the kitten was still there.

When I returned to the tree it was dark outside, so I got out my phone as a light and called to the kitten. Almost immediately he came running out of the darkness toward me, and I picked him up again. Only this time I tucked him under my sweatshirt and took him home.

“Whaaaaa?” said my husband as he opened the door to a kitten in my hands, his face fighting off sympathy for the tiny creature. Because while I assured him the kitten was only staying the night, he knew that once it came through the doorway, we would fall in love.

And of course he was right. Because within an hour I had already given him a name.

But first I fed him, then gave him a bath after finding he was covered in fleas. Then while watching him slowly begin to strut around our house I began calling him Oz, because he reminded me of the werewolf character on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, another tiny-yet-tough guy.

Still, we tried to resist getting another animal. And once we were sure he didn’t already have a family, we decided it was best to take the kitten to the animal shelter so they could find him one.

But on the day I was supposed to take him to the shelter, I couldn’t. Because by then, Oz had begun playing with the dog. And watching that tiny orange cat play with our big black dog not only gave me joy, I knew that finally having a live-in playmate was giving the dog much joy as well.

Oz playing with Ripley.
So when my husband called me on his lunch break to ask if I had already taken the kitten to the shelter, I started to cry.

“No — 

"Thank god,” he said. “I was calling to tell you not to!”

“OK,” I said, smiling.

He sighed. Then, because our ninth wedding anniversary was that weekend, said: “Well, happy anniversary!”

So, for our ninth anniversary, we gifted ourselves a fluffy mound of moxie. And since one of the traditional gifts for that year is willow wood, it seems appropriate that he was plucked from a tree. (Also, if I am allowed to go full-on Buffy nerd for a moment: the love interest for Oz on that show is a witch named Willow!)

It was six years ago this month that we adopted Oz, and he still brings me joy every day. Sadly, he no longer plays with the dog, but he still makes me laugh all the time, especially when I find him sprawled on the bed with his feet in the air. And when I rub his belly, which still has the softest fur I’ve ever felt, his toes curl.

That is super cool.



No comments:

Post a Comment