Tuesday, October 24, 2023

Bootsy: The missing cat who suddenly came back


One day when my husband and I returned from a weekend trip, we were greeted with a very happy surprise when a loved one suddenly returned.

After opening the back door so our cat could go outside again, I started to unpack my suitcase when I heard a cry from the kitchen: “Come here, you need to see this!”
 
And there, his face buried in the food bowl we had just filled for Sasquatch was Bootsy, his brother that we hadn’t seen for nearly a month.

That was cool.
 
In early October, Bootsy disappeared. The first night he didn’t come home I was concerned, then after two days I put up flyers. For several more days we combed the neighborhood and I combed the police log for reports of found cats, alive or dead. After three weeks with no sign of him, we feared he would never be coming home and was likely dead.
 
Bootsy on Halloween, the night after he came home.
But then suddenly, the night before Halloween, there he was — very skinny, but very alive. And very lucky that he’d been very overweight before, as he obviously didn’t get much to eat wherever he was. We never did find out what happened to him, but we’re guessing he got stuck somewhere, perhaps in a shed or garage, and had wait a long time to get back out.

Either way, it was a very nice surprise to see him again. But nowhere near as surprising as the next night, when we brought our first dog home on Halloween! Read that story here.
 
Two years in, Bootsy finally let the dog on the couch with him.


No comments:

Post a Comment